On May 9, 2013, I noticed that Gavin was a little more whiny in the morning and wanted to be held all the time. Just after lunch, I noticed goop coming out of his ear and it kind of freaked me out. I called the Dr. and they said his ear drum probably ruptured and it is very common with ear infections in children. It won't cause any damage to hearing and probably relieved some of the pressure. Still super scary for me. Poor little dude. They said his ear could leak for 3-4 days.
After 8 days of taking Amoxicillian for his ear infections, Gavin started to get a rash on his arms and legs. May 13, 2013. I figured it was just eczema and his sensitive skin, so I didn't worry about it and put hydrocortizone and lotions like I did before. He woke up the next day and it was still there and worse. Plus it was going onto his hands and feet. Later in the afternoon it was on his neck and starting on his face and ears. I called the dr and they had me bring him in. We found out that he has a sensitivity to Amoxicillin and sometimes kids get a rash after a while of taking it. They checked his ears and since his ear drum had ruptured the infection wasn't quite gone. They decided to put him on a new medication that is usually okay when kids are allergic to Amoxicillin. It is called Omnicef. They also have me giving him benedryl for the rash. When I went to pick up the Omnicef the pharmacist warned me that 3% of kids have a reaction to this one too.
After 3 days of taking Omnicef, Gavin broke out in hives. They were all over his arms, legs, bum, cheeks, neck. I called the Dr. immediately and the nurse said to him more benedryl and she would talk to the Dr. and call me back. A couple of hours later she called back and said to bring him in. By now all of the hives were gone. They said to just keep him on benedryl and watch for fussiness and fever. If he doesn't have that then ear infection is gone. Poor little guy can't catch a break!
At his next check up, everything was great and he was all better, but Dr. Arnold did say that we really don't want to give him any antibiotic's for about 6 months to see if he can grow out of the sensitivities to the ones he tried. There are not a lot of other options, so it would be great if he grew out of it.




No comments:
Post a Comment