Tuesday, March 22, 2011

911!

I have always had a fear of what I would do if a child called 911! I imagined them learning about 911 at school or at home and then when in an "emergency" situation, deciding to call it. I have heard terrible stories of this. For instance...I heard a story about a girl that decided to call and say that she was being abused because she was not allowed to go out that night because of being grounded....the police showed up at the house and had to get it all straightened out! For real!!!! Well, I didn't think this call would be made at such a young age, but Ellie has figured it out. I don't let her play with my phone anymore, do to this instance, but as I went to put her in her carseat the other day, she grabbed my phone so quick and I immediately took it away and set it on the floor while I put her in her seat. I looked down and it said "emergency call." I figured it just meant my phone wasn't working right again. Well, not even 10 seconds later 911 called me back and asked if I was okay. I am sure that I sounded like I was in distress by my shocked voice, but I assured them I was okay and was extremely embarrassed. My mom heard that if you hold down 9 on your phone, it will automatically call 911??? Not sure if that is true, and I'm definitely not going to try it! But, if you have kids....watch out! As much as I hope, I am sure this will probably not be the last time in my life that something like this happens. Anybody have any 911 stories to share, I'd love to hear them!?!

3 comments:

The Graves.... said...

While we were staying at my dads house for his wedding, my niece thought it'd be funny to call 911 and had the younger kids talk to the dispatcher when they answered. She did this on purpose though. A policeman showed up at the door while the kids were still in the back bedroom talking on the phone! So glad it wasn't my kid that came up with the idea. We made my niece talk to the cop so she'd understand her little game wasn't funny.

Lacey said...

I don't have any 911 stories, but I must say yours is hilarious! If she's already doing things like this at 9 months, you've got a real smartie pants on your hands! :)

Andrea Campbell said...

Dillan called while we were at my mom's house once. He had learned about 911 in preschool the day before (I think). He told them he thought he saw a fire in the backyard. Megan walked in and grabbed the phone from him and tried to reassure to person on the line that there wasn't a problem. After a call back as well, she finally convinced them we were fine. Hopefully we don't have worse calls than that in the future.