Tuesday, May 26, 2009
DC Trip Day 6
Day 6 was both Nicky and I's favorite day. We started out by picking up our rental car. We went cheap and got the most gutless and gas efficient car we could get. We ended up with the truly gutless wonder which we quickly named "The Tiny Turd" because it had no automatic locks, windows, and an engine that made us feel like the car had a lawn mower engine. The rest of the morning we spent with Hillary and JJ at Lexington market in Baltimore. Baltimore hosts the Preakness Stakes and it happened to be the week that we were there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preakness_Stakes). So in honor of this great horse race the city host blue crab races to get the town excited acout the race since Baltimore is known for their crabs. Competitors spray crabs with water and bounce a ball around the crabs to scare them backwards until they crossed a line. Afterward, we went and tried the world famous crabs cakes at Lexington Market.
After the crab races we took off for Gettysburg. I have to mention here briefly that we took and audio tour which was a CD that plays in the car and it tells you stories and takes you to different spots. Being there on that battlefield was one of the most moving activites ever. To hear the stories of the sacrifices of so many men and the tales of valor and honor sent chills up our spine a few times and one story almost brought us to tears. If you ever have the chance, go to Gettysburg.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)















5 comments:
I've never really wanted to go to Gettysburg before, but you guys make it sound like a great historical vacation spot. Glad you guys had such a great time! We're totally jealous. :)
Love it! Isn't Gettysburg (and the whole eastern shore board) incredible? I'm so glad Josh had that auto tour - it makes the whole place come alive! After having seen a battleground, I don't read the war chapters in the Book of Mormon the same...
What a cool trip!
Is Utah's monument the "This is the place" Monument? That would make sense. I wonder what Idaho's is. Looks like a great trip. Was the sign "World's Greatest crab cake" labeling you or the restaurant. Love you man.
Sorry i just looked at the picture again and it said "Baltimore's Best Crab Cakes." I'm bad at remembering specifics. I still think you're the world's greatest.
What a fun trip! We miss you guys..
Post a Comment