Tuesday, May 12, 2009

D.C. Trip Day 3

After a relaxing weekend with the Campos Family we set off very early on our journey to the nation's capital. We took the train from Baltimore to Union Station in downtown D.C. and from there, the blisters began.
Being so young and naive in the ways of the Washington area we decided to walk to the monuments first. There is so much now that I wish that I could tell that younger me to not do but it's too late and I'm reaping my rewards. From Union Station to the monuments we experienced the full 4 mile walk. By the time we reached Mr. Lincoln's residence we were more concerned with trying to decide if our feet were still attached. 
In all honesty, we actually got to see some great creations that give tribute to some of the greatest people and sacrifices in the history of our young country. It was moving to see the names of the thousands of soldiers who gave their names in Vietnam at the Vietnam Memorial and to see the message at the Korean Memorial that reads, "Freedom is not Free!" 
(I have to add here that my Grandpa fought in the Korean War and it brought back memories of his funeral 15 years ago with the 21 gun solute so this one meant a lot to me). I have to add that the Lincoln Memorial was intimidating in size and in the tribute to the former President. All this made the long walk worth it. 
(This is at the Korean Memorial)
We ended the day by visiting the American History Museum (where we saw some amazing things that included the uniform of George Washington, the original Star Spangled Banner, and Oscar the Grouch) and visiting the National Archives (the setup is nothing like National Treasure when viewing the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution). 

4 comments:

pawlyandsandy said...

So cool. Glad that you're able to see so much. I have to add that my grandfather fought in the Korean as well. Thank goodness for such great men. Hope your trip continues to run smoothly.

Andrea Campbell said...

That looks like so much fun! Good for you guys! We're going to our family reunion soon and I can't wait for that.

Julienne said...

Looks like quite the trip! Trips are my favorite.

Lacey said...

Your trip sounds like such a fun one! I love your daily updates. I remember the blister I got from walking the city too. That must be part of the whole tourist experience! :)