We have been playing outside a lot lately and have been really loving the nice weather. I was outside BBQing dinner and Ellie was just playing. All of the sudden she was pointing at a bee and saying bug. Neither of us had shoes on, so I called for Patrick to come and take care of it. I told Ellie to go inside because I didn't want her seeing him squishing it or picking it up and think she could do the same(trying to avoid a future bee sting). All of the sudden we heard her screaming inside and Patrick ran in to see what was wrong. She just kept saying bee got me over and over and pointing to her arm. We found a little stinger and I of course....had a mini heart attack. Thinking of the worst that she may be allergic to it. Patrick got the stinger out and I called my mom and she had me put baking soda and water mixture on it to draw out the poison. Ellie did so good with it. She cried a little, but was mostly just really distraught about being stung by a bee. She was so still on the chair with her arm up while the mixture dried and we had to call each set of grandparents to tell them all about what happened. It was so sad, but luckily she wasn't allergic. Her arm did swell up a bit, like a mosquito bite that it scratched too much, but she was fine. For a couple weeks after she would always say that bees will get her, or bugs. I just kept saying they won't and that they are outside. The worst was when there was a fly in our house while we were eating and it landed on her highchair. She freaked out and wouldn't stop screaming. She doesn't seem quite as afraid anymore, but is still extremely cautious. She will sometimes still point to her arm and say that the bee got her. Here she is being so patient. March 25, 2012





No comments:
Post a Comment